Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pehla Nasha

It was one of those subjects you would rather forget in school. I was no different, I had as much interest in the subject as a cat would have in taking a dip in water. I mean its just not natural for a teenage boy who loved nothing better than being on the football field to sit and learn that. As was natural for all students in Trivandrum at that time I too went to a coaching class. The logic was simple, if you flunked you had someone other than yourself to blame.

I knew her from sometime back. She had struck me as one of those overtly lively people, so lively that once she actually picked up a snail to admire it. All of 14 years at that time I couldn’t let her get away that, could I?? No sir. I too admired the slime sliding off its back and I still remember eating with a spoon for a week after that. That is another story for another time.

The tuition classroom was designed in the shape of a “T” with the teacher standing at the intersection. There was a big gang of us and we sat directly opposite the girls (some amount of segregation was prevalent; Trivandrum hasn’t yet managed to escape from its conservative straightjacket). So one fine day as I sat and perfunctorily glanced across, I caught her eye. Its hard to describe what one feels in such instances but somehow I kept staring. I didn’t see her face just those eyes glued to mine and like one of the charmed cobras or like a dumb dog or like a drug hazed junkie my glance never strayed. If it was a Hindi film, the whole class would have risen up in song and dance and I would have probably kissed her on her neck. Hmmm

The accident blossomed into a true infatuation. It became so much of a routine that the first thing I did in each class was to pick her out from the crowd. Unlike those space flicks contacting Houston was not a problem; our frequencies were perfectly tuned. But I could never muster the courage to speak to her outside class. I was afraid that the one thing that I looked forward to every week would somehow be lost.

Unlike a bollywood film there was no happy endings (life s not like OSO). One day she stopped looking and then I……………………………………..............

10 comments:

  1. interesting.....hope u will continue.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember those stares of you at me... Didn't know you had such a huge infatuation towards me.. Let's confess our love for each other right now! I love you MOGA ... I love YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lols....t courage tat anonymity gives s unbelievable :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and what happened next??
    can't find any more posts :(
    PS: i'm not the same as anonymous number.2 btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. just curious...what's arbit theory??

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing hppd.........t infatuation fizzled out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ last anonymous :D

    u didn understand arbit theory rit...tat s y its called arbit

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ moga
    LOL i get it
    (last anonymous here)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So this is what you were up to at Saramma's tuition... Hmmm, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this has to be saramma teacher's tuition class ... agree with mathew .. interesting and now inquisitive :)

    ReplyDelete